[R] sweave options with variable

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sun Apr 17 17:58:41 CEST 2011

[Forgot to cc: the list]

Hi.

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Kai Ying <yingk at iastate.edu> wrote:
> thanks,
>   It can work but not as elegant as I expect because it add extra code to
> every chunk of code.
> I have tried the cache for this purpose it works in most case but have a lot
> of other problems so I decided to control it by myself.
> I guess that sweave running R code before tex, so tex variable do not work
> and need find something run before sweave and set the variable,
> but it seems currently no way do that.

You can do exactly this by embedding your Sweave document with RSP markup, e.g.

<% needRun <- TRUE %>

<<eval=<%=needRun%>>>=
someSlowFunction()
@

To compile this into a valid Sweave document/file, you have to append
filename extension *.rsp, e.g. report.Rnw.rsp.  Then compile it as:

library("R.rsp");
rsp("report.Rnw.rsp", postprocess=FALSE);

which outputs a file report.Rnw containing:

<<eval=TRUE>>=
someSlowFunction()
@

If you also want to run Sweave on this and generate a PDF you can do
everything in one go (using the default postprocess=TRUE):

library("R.rsp");
rsp("report.Rnw.rsp");

RSP is a context-independent markup, i.e. it does not care what format
the underlying document has, as long as it is text based.

Hope this helps

/Henrik