[R] Launcher for Rattle?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Apr 16 07:47:40 CEST 2011

This is a result of bugs in rattle.

The first bug is that you are explicitly asked on its help page not to
use installed.packages() in that way.

Second, packages should be able to be loaded in a session with just
base loaded, so rattle's startup code should have
utils::installed.packages().  (In this case it is invoked from
rattle(), AFAICS, hence not invoked in the loading tests in R CMD
check.)

However, your startup code is wrong: from ?options

      ‘defaultPackages’: the packages that are attached by default when
           R starts up.  Initially set from value of the environment
           variable ‘R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES’, or if that is unset to
           ‘c("datasets", "utils", "grDevices", "graphics", "stats",
           "methods")’.  (Set ‘R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES’ to ‘NULL’ or a
           comma-separated list of package names.)

And by default, R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES is unset.  Try

sh -c 'R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES="datasets,utils,grDevices,graphics,stats,rattle" R "$@"'

(You may or may not need 'methods' as well.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk