[R] patterned non-random jitter

Daryl Morris darylm at uw.edu
Fri Apr 15 22:30:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

Is there a function somewhere that does a "patterned" jitter of data?
I've googled and the problem is that I don't know what to google for.

The setting is in grouped data.  I have plots which overlay jittered
points on a boxplot.  I simply jitter the "x-value", and the "y-value"
has no effect.

Scientists I work with frequently show plots made by another software
where the jitter looks like a bunch smiles stacked on top of each
other.  The jitter isn't random, but instead depends on the "y-value"
somehow.

thanks, Daryl
SCHARP, FHCRC, UW Biostatistics