[R] Loading a package shared lib works in 2.12 but not 2.11

Von Der Hirschheydt, Juergen juergen.vonderhirschheydt at credit-suisse.com
Wed Apr 13 17:32:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a problem with an external library on a previous R version.

We've created our own package containing a mixture of C++ as well as R
code which works fine under R 2.12.1. However, trying to install the
very same package ZIP file on R 2.11.1 will issue an error when loading
a library:

  > utils:::menuInstallLocal()
  package 'quasar' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
  > require(quasar)
  Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
    shared library 'quasar' not found
  In addition: Warning message:
  package 'quasar' was built under R version 2.12.1

(quasar being the name of the package). Does anyone have some pointers
why it works under 2.12.1 but not 2.11.1 ? I've looked over the
changelog but couldn't find any clue there.

Has the mechanism for "useDynLib(quasar)" in the NAMESPACE file changed
?

Thanks for your time,
Cheers,

Juergen