[R] multiple lines on multiple plots

James Annan jdannan at jamstec.go.jp
Tue Apr 12 15:30:27 CEST 2011

I'm sure this must be trivial, but I'm a novice with R and can't work
out how to handle the axes when I am constructing multiple plots on a
page and try to return to a previous one to put multiple data sets it.

A simple example:
---
x<- 1:10
y<- (1:100)*3
par(mfcol=c(2,1))
plot(x)
plot(y)

par(mfg=c(1,1))
lines(x)
---

The first 5 lines make two plots with a row of dots along the diagonal
of each. I intended the last two statements to add a line to the first
plot, that runs along the same data points already plotted there.
However, although the commands add a line to the top plot, it is clearly
using the axis dimensions of the lower plot. Can someone tell me how to
get it to use the axes that are already there?

Variants like lines(x,xlim=c(1,10)) have no effect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James
--
James D Annan jdannan at jamstec.go.jp Tel: +81-45-778-5618 (Fax 5707)
Senior Scientist, Research Institute for Global Change, JAMSTEC