[R] Fwd: CRAN problem with plyr-1.4.1

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Apr 12 16:27:33 CEST 2011

On 12.04.2011 14:52, Ian Davis wrote:
> Uwe,
>
> I really do appreciate the help from you and Douglas on resolving this
> problem.  However, I respectfully disagree on a few points:
>
> - install.packages() was broken and failing to install successfully.

install.packages() works well, it is *not* broken.

> This is why I was tracking down the URL via the CRAN website.

yes, but that was not recent since the repository was more recent. And
updating web pages takes its time for 3000 packages.

download.packages() would have done it fine, since it is not relying on
the web page. But then, install.packages() worked as well.

> - I think it's crazy to have an update process that breaks links for ~24
> hours every time a package is updated.

No, I just said wait for 24 hours to be on the safe side. I does not
take 24 hours. For binary package versions, you need to wait 72 hours
(at least that is what we promise).

 > This means that on any given
> day, some significant fraction of R packages just cannot be installed?

They can always be installed, since a repository is up to date at once,
just the web pages are not updates at once.

> Even if you "just" have broken links on the web site, it looks pretty
> bad. "Wait till tomorrow" seems like a poor response for a project as
> large and widely used as R.
>
> I'll repeat what I told Douglas -- as a user of R, it would be very
> helpful if the list of mirrors indicated which one(s) were authoritative
> (and by implication, which are unreliable).

Unreliable mirrors are removed from the list of mirrors from time to
time. Mirrors are updates at least twice a week.

Best,
Uwe Ligges