[R] nndist R vs. ArcGIS

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 11 21:32:32 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM, smoluka <smoluka at geo.oregonstate.edu> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why I would get different average nearest neighbor values
> for the same set of coordinates between ArcGIS 10 and R? Sometimes the
> difference in distance is over 1.3 km.

 Edge correction? In a spatial point pattern, points near the boundary
of your window are less likely to have a near neighbour because only
some of the surrounding space can possibly have points. I think
functions in spatstat will correct for this.

Make a simple test example and tell us what functions you are using.

And also try the r-sig-geo mailing list  for this sort of thing.

Barry