[R] lattice: par.settings: custom axis.line by panel

Benjamin Tyner btyner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 03:11:40 CEST 2011

Thanks Deepayan!

I neglected to mention that I would want to retain ticks as well for the
boxed panel(s), so perhaps something like

xyplot(y ~ x|f,
       data = Data,
       layout=c(2,1),
       scales=list(relation="free",alternating=FALSE),
       par.settings = list(axis.line=list(col = "transparent")),
       axis = function(side, line.col, ...){
           bool <- panel.number() %in% c(1)
           axis.default(side = side,
                        line.col = if(bool) "black" else "transparent",
                        ...)
           if(side=="bottom" & bool) grid::grid.rect(gp=grid::gpar(lty=1))
       }
       )

However, I noticed that if my panel function is drawing beyond the
border, that it overlaps with the rectangle drawn by the axis function.
For example, if I add the panel function:

panel=function(x,y,...){
         panel.polygon(x = c(0.4,0.6,0.6,0.4),
                       y = c(-10,-10,10,10),
                       col = "yellow")
         panel.xyplot(x,y,...)
       }

then the bottom border on panel 1 is obscured...any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Ben