[R] gstat data formatting

EdmAB melissapeters at email.com
Fri Apr 8 22:11:22 CEST 2011

Hello,

I am interested in using the hscat command in the gstat package to create
h-scatterplots of snow depth measurements over a given area (spatial
autocorrelation). Unfortunately I do not understand how to format my data
for import into R for use with the hscat command. I have checked the gstat
manual and it says to use grid maps in ascii format, but my data is in table
format (ID, X, Y, Z) and saved as *.txt.

Do I need to import my .txt file into a program such as ArcMap, draw a map,
save it in ascii format, and then import the ascii file into R?
Or can I skip the middle steps and use an imported .txt file directly with
the hscat command?

Thank you,
- EdmAB