[R] How to *completely* stop a script after stop()?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:38:37 CEST 2011

On 08/04/2011 11:47 AM, algorimancer wrote:
> I too am encountering this problem.  When I have a large script, if I select
> all in the editor and then ctrl-r to run, if it encounters a stop() function
> it simply prints an error message and continues to execute the remainder of
> the script, as opposed to terminating execution at that line.  The quit()
> function exits R altogether, which I don't want.  Yes, I could manually
> select only the portion of script which I want to run, but for lengthy
> scripts which I run repeatedly (generally changing only the name of the file
> I want analyzed), this can be quite tedious.  It appears that the only
> solution is to put most of the code in a separate file and call it using
> source(); this has the downside of reducing the clarity of the code -- it's
> a sort-of structural spaghetti code approach.

It sounds as though you are talking about the Windows GUI.  That's
important, because other GUIs probably have different behaviour.

To run a script up to the first error, do this:

Highlight the part you want to run (or Ctrl-a for everything).
Copy the code using Ctrl-c.
In the console, run source("clipboard") (perhaps with echo=TRUE if you
want to see it as it goes).  This is a lot of typing the first time you
do it, but after that, the up arrow can bring back the command.

It would probably make sense for Ctrl-R to do something functionally
equivalent to Ctrl-C, source("clipboard", echo=TRUE) rather than the
current behaviour.  Not going to happen in 2.13.x, but maybe in 2.14.x
in the fall.

Duncan Murdoch