[R] Is function compiled code or not?

Paul Hiemstra paul.hiemstra at knmi.nl
Fri Apr 8 11:22:35 CEST 2011

On 04/08/2011 09:44 AM, Stefan Petersson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, but how can I see if a function is 'compiled code' or plain R? E.g. the daisy
> function from the cluster package.

Hi,

Look at the sources of the function and look for .C or .Fortran. In the
case of daisy there is a call to a fortran routine:

   disv <- .Fortran(cl_daisy, n, p, x, if (mdata) valmd else double(1),
        as.double(weights), if (mdata) jtmd else integer(1),
        jdat, type3, ndyst, as.integer(mdata), dis = double((n *
            (n - 1))/2), NAOK = TRUE, DUP = FALSE)$dis

An easy way to look at sources is to type the command at the command
line without the parentheses, e.g.:

> daisy

cheers,
Paul