[R] Where is the tcltk package?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Apr 8 02:55:19 CEST 2011

On 08/04/11 12:40, Erik Iverson wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 07:32 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
>> On 08/04/11 12:22, Erik Iverson wrote:
>>> Rolf,
>>>
>>> What does

>>> return?
>> FALSE
> I believe R needs to be compiled with tcltk support for the package to work. Do
> you compile your own version or use a package manager (e.g., on Ubuntu)?  If you
> have TCL/TK installed in a "standard" location, all should be well I think.

I installed R from source; couldn't figure out how to get a Ubuntu binary.
I forget the details (it was a while ago) but nothing seemed to work.

I think I have the tcl/tk stuff in a ``standard location'':

     /usr/lib/libtcl8.4.so.0
     /usr/lib/libtcl8.5.so.0
     /usr/lib/libtk8.4.so.0
     /usr/lib/libtk8.5.so.0
     /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.4
     /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5
     /usr/share/tcltk/tk8.4
     /usr/share/tcltk/tk8.5
> See:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Tcl_002fTk
>
> On my Ubuntu machine, I have both the "tcl" and the "tk" packages installed
> through Synaptic (the package manager).
I don't grok ``Synaptic''.  I have installed various stuff using
``sudo apt-get install ....'' --- that's about as far as my capabilities
extend.

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner