[R] Scrap java scripts and styles from an html document

antujsrv antujsrv at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:15:50 CEST 2011

Hi ,

I am working on developing a web crawler.
Removing javascripts and styles is a part of the cleaning of the html
document.
What I want is a cleaned html document with only the html tags and textual
information,
so that i can figure out the pattern of the web page. This is being done to
extract relevant
information from the webpage like comments for a particular product.

For e.g the amazon.com has all such comments within the
 and 	 tags,
with regular
 occuring for breaks. So tags which appear the most help us in
 locating the required information. Different websites have different
patterns,
but its more likely that tags that will occur the most will have the
relevant information enclosed in them.

So, once the html page is cleaned, it would be easy to role up the tags and
knowing their frequency of occurrence, we can target the information.

Should there be any suggestions to help, please let me know. I would be more
than pleased.

Regards,
Antuj