[R] Confidence interval for the difference between proportions - method used in prop.test()

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:03:30 CEST 2011

Dear Steffi,

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM, Stefanie Von Felten <SVonfelten at uhbs.ch> wrote:
> Dear Josh,
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Does your answer mean, that you agree the two methods should do the same,
> and what I was guessing, despite the small differences?

That would be my guess, but I have not actually read the reference in
discussion.  Still, the documentation for prop.test uses the same
Newcombe reference as ci.pd, so if method 10 is the clear winner, it
seems reasonable that prop.test is an implementation of it.

> What I prefer about ci.pd is, that the help clearly says which method is
> implemented, which is not the case for prop.test. But I do not know who has
> programmed the function.

Then for reporting, use ci.pd, and say it is method 10 from Newcombe.
You can always check the results with prop.test() which is part of R
core so you can be pretty confident whatever it does, it does it
correctly (and will be updated if necessary with future releases of
R).

Sincerely,

Josh