[R] automating regression or correlations for many variables

geral geraldes at mail.ubc.ca
Mon Apr 4 19:13:04 CEST 2011

Dear All,

I have a large data frame with 10 rows and 82 columns. I want to apply the
same function to all of the columns with a single command. e.g. zl <- lm
(snp$a_109909 ~ snp$lat) will fit a linear model to the values in lat and
a_109909. What I want to do is fit linear models for the values in each
column against lat. I tried doing zl <- (snp[,2:82] ~ snp$lat[,1]) but got
the following error message "Error in model.frame.default(formula = snp[,
2:82] ~ snp[, 1], drop.unused.levels = TRUE) :
  invalid type (list) for variable 'snp[, 2:82]'". Does this mean I cannot
use a data frame to do this? Should I have my data in a matrix instead?

Thanks