[R] Unbalanced Anova: What is the best approach?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Apr 3 17:35:01 CEST 2011

Dear Krishna,

I don't agree with your characterization. For example, the representation of
a two-way crossed ANOVA model as an R model formula is precisely the same
for balanced and unbalanced data: for response Y and factors A and B, Y ~
A*B. Moreover, the issue of how to formulate tests is independent of the
software you use.

> I did notice that this question gets asked several times and in slightly
> different ways, and I think the lack of an interface that represents an
> unbalanced design in the same way aov represents balanced designs is why
> the question will probably keep getting asked again.

I suspect that the issue gets asked repeatedly for two reasons: (1) More
fundamentally, I believe that the general level of understanding of
hypothesis tests in unbalanced data is low; (2) people don't necessarily
read previous posts to r-help.

> I had mentioned nlme and lme4 because I saw in some of the discussions
> that using those were recommended for working with unbalanced designs. And
> specifying random effects with zero variance, for example, would probably
> serve my purposes.

I don't think that either lme() or lmer() will allow you to fit a model
without random effects, but even if they did there wouldn't be much sense in
doing so. You can compute a mean with lm() or glm(), but would you?

Best,
 John

> Thank you for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Krishna
>
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:28 AM, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>

> 	Dear Krishna,
>
> 	Although it's difficult to explain briefly, I'd argue that balanced
> and
> 	unbalanced ANOVA are not fundamentally different, in that the focus
> should
> 	be on the hypotheses that are tested, and these are naturally
> expressed as
> 	functions of cell means and marginal means. For example, in a
two-way
> ANOVA,
> 	the null hypotheses of no interaction is equivalent to parallel
> profiles of
> 	cell means for one factor across levels of the other. What is
> different,
> 	though, is that in a balanced ANOVA all common approaches to
> constructing an
> 	ANOVA table coincide.
>
> 	Without getting into the explanation in detail (which you can find
in
> a text
> 	like my Applied Regression Analysis and Generalized Linear Models),
> 	so-called type-I (or sequential) tests, such as those performed by
> the
> 	standard anova() function in R, test hypotheses that are rarely of
> 	substantive interest, and, even when they are, are of interest only
> by
> 	accident. So-called type-II tests, such as those performed by
default
> by the
> 	Anova() function in the car package, test hypotheses that are almost
> always
> 	of interest. Type-III tests, which the Anova() function in car can
> perform
> 	optionally, require careful formulation of the model for the
> hypotheses
> 	tested to be sensible, and even then have less power than
> corresponding
> 	type-II tests in the circumstances in which a test would be of
> interest.
>
> 	Since you're addressing fixed-effects models, I'm not sure why you
> 	introduced nlme and lme4 into the discussion, but I note that
Anova()