[R] I think I just broke R

Alexander Engelhardt alex at chaotic-neutral.de
Sun Apr 3 13:50:22 CEST 2011

Am 03.04.2011 13:12, schrieb Prof Brian Ripley:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>> Use "LANGUAGE" rather than "LANG" as the environment variable.
>
> Also, set it outside your R session, e.g. in your .Renviron file.
>
> You are supposed to be able to change this during an R session, but if
> you rely on OS facilities (as you probably do on Linux) rather than the
> gettext in the R sources, we have seen instances of the OS breaking this.

I did use LANGUAGE too, didn't work as well.
Creating a ~/.Rprofile file with LANGUAGE="EN" had no effect (weird..).
When I edited /etc/R/Renviron.site to include LANGUAGE="EN", it worked.
Thanks for the hints!

>>> R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
>>
>> and time to upgrade R

I'm still fighting to find out how to upgrade stuff on Ubuntu. After a
repository update the newest available version was still 2.10.1.
I'll figure it out, sooner or later :)