[R] Syntax coloring in R console

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:46:18 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM, January Weiner
<january.weiner at mpiib-berlin.mpg.de> wrote:
> Dear Liviu,
>
> thanks for the programming tip! However, I do all my editing in vim,
> which has had syntax highlighting for quite a while, as well as
> auto-completion and a number of other goodies. But while I do most of
> my programing in vim,

For info, vim has plug-in for R.

> I do most of my scientific studies simply using
> the R interface and keeping a manually edited "lab book" apart from
> the scripts. Clearly, one can do as much with Rstudio -- I just don't
> see any advantages, but I do see a disadvantage in my specific case:
> all sub-windows are confined to the "desktop". In other words, having
> multiple plots on one monitor and a terminal with R command line is
> not possible.

I see. This would be more of a hack, but you could use playwith as an
external graphics device. Otherwise, there seems to be an easy hack:

> x11()
> plot(1:10)

> A question, though. Given that I have projects assorted in various
> directories, how can I start RStudio opening a project stored in
> .RData and .Rhistory of a given directory? I.e., how can I make
> RStudio open the current directory (like R does), and not $HOME?

This is a known issue and the RStudio devels plan to address this.
Currently I simply open RStudio in $HOME (and make sure that there is
no existent .RData there), then open the .RData from my project's
directory (by clicking on it in the right-hand Files pane) and then in
the same pane I hit More > Set as working dir. A bit cumbersome, but
seems to work, and a small price to pay for all the available
functionality.

Regards
Liviu