[R] programming: telling a function where to look for the entered variables

E Hofstadler e.hofstadler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:28:23 CEST 2011

Thanks Nick and Juan for your replies.

Nick, thanks for pointing out the warning in subset(). I'm not sure
though I understand the example you provided -- because despite using
subset() rather than bracket notation, the original function (myfunct)
does what is expected of it. The problem I have is with the second
function (myfunct.better), where variable names + dataframe are not
fixed within the function but passed to the function when calling it
-- and even with bracket notation I don't quite manage to tell R where
to look for the columns that related to the entered column names.
(but then perhaps I misunderstood you)

This is what I tried (using bracket notation):

myfunct.better(dataframe, subgroup, lvarname,yvarname){
Data.tmp <- dataframe[dataframe[,deparse(substitute(lvarname))]==subgroup,
c("xvar",deparse(substitute(yvarname)))]
}

but this creates an empty contingency table only -- perhaps because my
use of deparse() is flawed (I think what is converted into a string is
"lvarname" and "yvarname", rather than the column names that these two
function-variables represent in the dataframe)?