[R] more than two NA value names in my data

JoonGi joongi at hanmail.net
Thu Sep 30 19:10:35 CEST 2010

my data(*.txt) has 1000 observations(numbers with no characters) of 5
variables. quite simple.

However, NA values are quite tricky.

this observer used more than two names for NA values; "." and "na" and more.

1. If I don't want to manipulate this raw data at all, how can I read this
table?

(meaning, can I set more than two names for na.strings=" " in read.table()?)

2. What happens if I don't set any NA value names in read.table()?

Does R read "."(dot) and "na" as NA value?

3. If Q1 is not possible, what is the best way to get the values I want?

(let's say I want means of all variables. I give conditions on my mean()?)