[R] short captions for xtable?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Sep 29 16:32:34 CEST 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 8:31 AM, cuz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For my dissertation, I've made copious use of xtable. I've just gotten
> stumped however. I'm a fan of extended captions explaining the table, but
> now I have to assemble a a list of tables and the captions are unwieldy. I
> presume xtable calls LaTeX's \caption function. Is there a way to include
> short captions (a la \caption[short caption]{long caption}?
>
> Thanks in advance for you help.
>
> Cuz

I don't see any obvious way to do that with xtable. You may wish to contact the package author directly and perhaps ask about adding that functionality as an enhancement.

In Frank's Hmisc package, there is the latex() function, which has separate arguments for 'caption' and 'caption.lot', so you may wish to look at that approach.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz