[R] Object Browser

Vitally S. spinuvit.list at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 15:00:24 CEST 2010

wxffxw <wxffxw at gmail.com> writes:

> So, is there any thing like the combination of eclipse and Jgr?
> If not, I am interested to develope something to fulfill this simple but
> very important function. But right now I have no idea where to start. Any
> suggestions?

If you are interested in developing such a browser,  you might try to contact
Ian Fellows the developer of Deducer (www.deducer.org). I am not using it myself
but it looks like there is an API for extensions and in addition Deducer works in
many IDEs (if not all).

I have in plan to write a tree like visual object inspector for ESS,  but it
will take some time.

If you manage to start the project, try to keep in mind that "object browser" is
actually an "environment inspector" so it could be used to inspect environments
in an hierarchical fashion. Such approach would be useful during a
debug session for instance.

Also the same code might be potentially useful for inspection of S4/S3 class
hierarchy, multilevel lists, proto hierarchies,  Rjava,  cpp or whatever object or
collections with tree-likes structure. So generality is relay important here.

Cheers,
Vitally.