[R] Problem with unlist

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:27:43 CEST 2010

Luis Felipe Parra <felipe.parra <at> quantil.com.co> writes:

>  Hello, I am trying to unlist a list, which is attached, and I am having the
> problem that when I unlist it the number of elements changes from 5065 to
> 5084
>
>  > x <- lapply(SumaPluvi, FUN="[", 1);
> > n <- sapply(x, FUN=length);
> > print(table(n));
>    1
> 5065
> > print(which(n != 1));
> integer(0)
> > length(unlist(lapply(SumaPluvi, FUN="[", 1)))
> [1] 5081
> >

> I dont now why, but when I unlist it the number of elements changes from
> 5065 to 5084 even if there is no list element with length greater than one.
> Do you know what can be happening?

  We probably won't be able to get farther without a reproducible
example.  One brute-force way of finding the problem is by bisection:
i.e., try the first and last halves of your list separately, and see
if either one individually shows a similar problem.  Proceed recursively
until you localize the problem ...