[R] finding big matrix size and SVD

Mon Sep 27 04:23:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Natasha Asar <natasha.asar83 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear R helpers
>
> I have a big data sheet (CSV) which I use “read.csv” to read it
>
> When im trying to get the Dim() it says 38 column which is not correct it should
> be something about 400.
> I am wondering whether there is any way I can read it right… I have used ncol()
> and it’s the same answer

It seems that perhaps the input file isn't well formed, and R can't
correctly identify that each row should have 400 columns?

Maybe you can try to read it in manually (using readLines, for
instance), and strsplit each line so that you can get finer control of
reading the file. Alternatively, you can try and edit the file by hand
to fix it.

> On the other hand I use to get the SVD of it but I have about 500,000 rows so
> considering that it should be rectangular matrix…
> im wondering how this can be possible

I don't follow this part, sorry ... what's the question here?

--
Steve Lianoglou