[R] Ordinal mixed model

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 23 21:32:55 CEST 2010

Patrick--

One other option in addition to Thierry's suggestion, within R you might
also consider the ordinal package, which handles random-intercept models.

That said, if you are used to SPSS, I suspect this will be a titanic
pain trying to move to R (part. if just for this one analysis...).
Having been taught SPSS in grad school (and still working amongst many
SPSS users), the two programs are very different.

SPSS will fit GEE models, which I would guess is a defensible approach
for your data (given the very little that I know about it...).  You
might explore that before scaling the steep learning curve of R.

Hope that helps.

cheers, Dave

Dear Patrick,

You can fit such a model with the MCMCglmm package. Have a look at the
vignette of that package.

install.packages("MCMCglmm")
vignette("CourseNotes", package = "MCMCglmm")

But I'm affraid that this will require some rockclimbing upon the
learning curve if you are a R novice.

HTH,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

~ John Tukey

Dave Atkins, PhD
Research Associate Professor
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
University of Washington
datkins at u.washington.edu

Center for the Study of Health and Risk Behaviors (CSHRB)
1100 NE 45th Street, Suite 300
Seattle, WA  98105
206-616-3879
http://depts.washington.edu/cshrb/
(Mon-Wed)

Center for Healthcare Improvement, for Addictions, Mental Illness,
   Medically Vulnerable Populations (CHAMMP)
325 9th Avenue, 2HH-15
Box 359911
Seattle, WA 98104
http://www.chammp.org