[R] scatterplot 3d equal axis sequence length limitation

rtist patwarner2424 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 20:10:26 CEST 2010

I was wondering if anyone has a way out of the limitation that you must use
equal length
x,y, and z sequence lengths.
For instance,
x<-seq(1,100)
y<-seq(1,100)
z<-rnorm(100)
scatterplot3d(z,x,y)

works fine.
However, if I get some results that has a different y subset length, such as
x<-seq(1,100)
y<-seq(1,300)
z<-rnorm(100)
scatterplot3d(z,x,y)

I get the following error:
Error in xyz.coords(x = x, y = y, z = z, xlab = xlabel, ylab = ylabel,  :
  'x', 'y' and 'z' lengths differ

I have found one solution is to pad the values with n*0, where n is the
number of excess variables
of y over x and z.  Unfortunately, the visual appearance is not that
appealing.  The situation is very practical as there are cases where you
might limit the x axis variable length to some value, and have many
more runs of y (monte carlo sweeps for instance).

Ideally, rather than pad, If I cannot limit the length of one axis to the
same length of another, I would just like the color to be transparent for
those values (edges and vertices).

thanks,
rtist