[R] converting NSCA HDF5 files to ASCII

Alex Anderson complicado79 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 23 07:32:01 CEST 2010

  Hi All,
I am struggling with the task of converting some MODIS remotes sensed
image data in HDF5 format to ASCII format.  I have found oblique
references to the HDF format in the help files for  the packages hdf5,
RnetCDF, and ncdf, but nothing that appears to read in an HDF format
file and produce an ASCII grid file. I am hoping to avoid having to move
to another platform, and I have about 3,000 files to convert, so a batch
processing option is preferable (otherwise I would use some of the
freely available software packages like HDF look).  Any thoughts would
be most appreciated.
regards
Alex

Phd Candidate,
Centre for Tropical Biodiversity and Climate Change
School of Marine and Tropical Biology
James Cook University, Townsville
Queensland, Australia, 4811