[R] Web forum - should I make one?

Vojtěch Zeisek vojtech.zeisek at opensuse.org
Wed Sep 22 07:49:29 CEST 2010

Hello

Dne St 22. září 2010 00:30:26 Yihui Xie napsal(a):
> Ahh... I have almost forgotten the forum links I put in the R Wiki
> four years ago! Thanks for reminding me!
>
> As many Chinese users know, the Chinese R forum at http://cos.name/cn/
> is pretty mature now. From my experience in maintaining this forum, I
> can fully understand Vojtěch's proposal, and in fact I also considered
> this years ago (see my "failure" at http://cos.name/en/). Mailing
> lists are easier to post messages, but I really believe they have too
> many disadvantages, e.g. (relatively) difficult to search, dull
> interface, HTML not welcome (I don't like HTML in emails, though), no
> lively images, no code highlighting, attachments often get chopped
> off, no RSS to subscribe, admins are still fighting with spams somehow
> manually (?), and imagine how painful it is for us to read the
> "threaded" web archives...

Yes! That's where I point to. IMHO the best would be if whole R site would be
running some modern content management system (Adnen mentioned some of them).
I personally like Drupal (http://drupal.org/) - easy, user friendly, secure
and tons of great functions.

> In all, we don't have to refuse technologies, and I totally agree with
> an official web forum for R. I am also willing to help if the R core
> members decide to start such a project.

I'm not professional web developer, but I maintain several webs running Drupal
and I think I can maintain one more. :-) And if someone else would work on it
with me, it would be great.
How does the R core members decision happens? Should I ask someone from there
directly?

> P. S. I was really surprised quite a few weeks ago when I noticed the
> Omegahat project had set up a blog site
> (http://omegahat.wordpress.com)! "Welcome to the web of the 21st
> century!" was what I thought to myself.

Current R's main web is really not example of good web... But to remake whole
R's web is much more bigger task...

> Regards,
> Yihui
> --
> Yihui Xie <xieyihui na gmail.com>
> Phone: 515-294-2465 Web: http://yihui.name
> Department of Statistics, Iowa State University
> 2215 Snedecor Hall, Ames, IA

All the best,
Vojtěch

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Charles Uni., Prague, CZ
Institute of Botany, Academy of Science, Czech Republic
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

http://www.natur.cuni.cz/faculty-en?set_language=en
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/?p=index&site=en
http://www.opensuse.org/