[R] OT: Is randomization for targeted cancer therapies ethical?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Sep 20 21:02:32 CEST 2010

On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:28 PM, Charles C. Berry wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Bert Gunter wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks:
>>
>> **Off Topic**
>>
>> Those interested in clinical trials may find the following of
>> interest:
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/19/health/research/19trial.html
>>
>> It concerns the ethicality of randomizing those with life-threatening
>> disease to relatively ineffective SOC when new "biologically
>> targeted"
>> therapies "appear" to be more effective. While the context may be
>> new,
>> the debate, itself, is not: Tukey wrote (or maybe it was talked -- I
>> can't remember for sure) about this about 30 years ago. I'm sure many
>> other also have done so.
>
> Anscombe's remarkable (and influential) review of Armitage's
> 'Sequential Medical Trials' back in 1963
>
> 	http://www.jstor.org/stable/2283272

Not all university libraries have access via that link and efforts at
identifying the citation in Pubmed failed, so could I request a more
complete citation, please? Oh never mind I got it with Google. If
anyone else needs the ISSN of JASA in which both the cited article and
Armitage's reply appeared for the purposes of JSTOR access, it's
01621459.

Sequential Medical Trials
F. J. Anscombe
Journal of the American Statistical Association
Vol. 58, No. 302 (Jun., 1963), pp. 365-383
Published by: American Statistical Association
http://www.jstor.org/stable/2283272

  Sequential Medical Trials: Some Comments on F. J. Anscombe's Paper
  P. Armitage
Journal of the American Statistical Association
Vol. 58, No. 302 (Jun., 1963), pp. 384-387
(article consists of 4 pages)

--
David.