[R] OT Gmane and r-help moderator approval

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 02:01:52 CEST 2010

On 19/09/2010 5:23 AM, Graham Smith wrote:
> I have started to read r-help on Gmane using Thunderbird as a reader.
> Before that I had messages sent to gmail account.
>
> The first post through Gmane needed moderator approval, but then I got a
> message from
>
> Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org
>
> saying
>
> You are now authorized to post to the
> gmane.comp.lang.r.general newsgroup.
>
> But my messages are still needing moderator approval, which I assumed
> would no longer be needed given the message from my friendly autoauthorizer

Gmane.org has nothing to do with the R mailing list; they're just a web
site that subscribes to mailing lists and makes them available in other
formats.  So their authorization lets you post on Gmane, but Gmane isn't
authorized to post to the mailing list, and your messages would need
manual authorization.

I think it would be best to subscribe and email directly to the real
mailing list address.  That way your message will usually appear
quicker, and won't take someone's intervention.

You can set up your subscription to send you nothing, and still read on
Gmane, if you prefer that.

Duncan Murdoch