[R] OT Gmane and r-help moderator approval

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Sep 19 16:05:43 CEST 2010

On 19-Sep-10 09:23:45, Graham Smith wrote:
> I have started to read r-help on Gmane using Thunderbird as a reader.
> Before that I had messages sent to gmail account.
>
> The first post through Gmane needed moderator approval, but then I
> got a message from
>
> Your friendly autoauthorizer at Gmane.org
>
> saying
>
> You are now authorized to post to the
> gmane.comp.lang.r.general newsgroup.
>
> But my messages are still needing moderator approval, which I assumed
> would no longer be needed given the message from my friendly
> autoauthorizer
>
> Am I missing something here.
> Thanks

The moderator approval is being applied by the R-help server
(mailman) at ethz.ch, the home of R-help, not by Gmane. If you
look at the headers of your latest message (the one to which I am
replying) you will see the header:

which was inserted by mailman. You should have received a message
(prior to approval) which said that your message was being held
for moderator approval, and giving a reason. The reason is usually
one of two: "Posting by a non-member to a members-only list" or
"The message headers matched a filter rule".

If the email address from which you are posting is not subscribed
to the R-help list, you would get the first (I don't think that
access via Gmane can bypass that, though I stand to be corrected),
except that the second -- if triggered -- is likely to be quoted
instead of the first if both apply.

What can trigger the second is a somewhat varied mixed bag of
indicators of potential spam. This can include simply posting
from a gmail account, or via nabble (though I gather that the
"filter rules" have been slightly relaxed recently so that these
now pose a problem less often), and it may also be that access
via Gmane could trigger it.

If you would state what reason you were given, it may help to
identify the problem. If it was "Posting by non-member ... "
on any occasion then the only cure is to subscribe the email
address from which you post.

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861