[R] How to compare, match two columns from diferent dataframe and assign values from one datafram to the other

Wang, Ying Ying.Wang at uth.tmc.edu
Fri Sep 17 23:02:42 CEST 2010

Dear R experts,

I'm new to R. It seems to be a simple question but I just can't find a way to do it. Please help me.

I have two data sets x and y as shown in the following. I want to compare the first two columns in x and y, find the matched ones and assign the relative value from column 2 of y to generate the third column of x. Any help wil be appreciated. Thanks.

      [,1] [,2]
 [1,] "1"  "0"
 [2,] "2"  "0"
 [3,] "3"  "0"