[R] function help?

Duke duke.lists at gmx.com
Fri Sep 17 21:41:35 CEST 2010

  On 9/17/10 12:46 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> If having the definition of the function appear when you enter the name of the function elicits a "hate" response, then perhaps you should not be using R. That characteristic of R is fundamental and unlikely to change: in R everything is an object, and the result of evaluating an expression is displayed at the command line. Other languages have different unifying principles, and may be appropriate for different tasks.

Well, *hate* or *love* is just a matter of time and / or habit, so it
will not interfere with me doing anything, especially in work related. I
dont mind learning anything that will serve me well. Indeed, some
projects that I am currently working with involve some R packages and
hence some R coding as well, so I will use R no matter if I hate it or not.

> Anything that can be done in R could be done in, say, C, but by the time you did so you might find yourself learning very similar lessons to the ones R assumes you know.

I have zero background on programming, so I prefer to work and learn in
C/C++ if I have a chance (and time). But if I need something quick, then
I will have to use something like matlab, R or python.