[R] R Founding

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Thu Sep 16 23:27:09 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 16/09/2010 3:29 PM, Kevin Wright wrote:
>>
>> Revolution has given back in a number of ways: supporting the useR
>> conference, assisting R core with getting R to build on 64-bit Windows
>> systems, bug fixes, releasing some open source packages, a very fine blog
>> from which I have learned some quite useful information, and helping R gain
>> some needed credibility in the media and business worlds.  Not to mention
>> the stainless steel water bottle they handed out at useR. :-)
>
> Most of those I agree with, but I think it was more R core (in particular Brian Ripley) who got R to build on 64-bit Windows systems.  I helped Revolution to understand what he had done.

Duncan's correct: Brian Ripley deserves a lot more credit than he
often gets for making R build on many systems, including port of the
engine to be 64-bit clean. Duncan provided invaluable pointers to the
Revolution developers to get our 64-bit Windows distribution running.
(Now that mingcw supports 64-bit R, and Brian's role in making that
happen, things are a lot easier on our end too. Thanks, again.)

I did want to add to Kevin's words also (thanks, Kevin): supporting
and growing the R community is a big goal of ours. A lot of it happens
behind the scenes, for example helping get local R user groups up and
running (there are now more than 40, from just a couple of formal
groups as little as a year ago), and sponsoring students doing R
development. I hope our contributions in these other ways help to
benefit the R community as a whole.

# David Smith
--
David M Smith <david at revolutionanalytics.com>