[R] Creating publication-quality plots for use in Microsoft Word

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:41:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM, dadrivr <dadrivr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help, guys.  I'm looking to produce a high-quality plot (no
> jagged lines or other distortions) with a filetype that is accepted by
> Microsoft Word on a PC and that most journals will accept.  That's why I'd
> prefer to stick with JPEG, TIFF, PNG, or the like.  I'm not sure EPS would
> fly.
>
> I tried inserting the PDF directly into Word, but I am on a PC and there is
> a loss of quality in the transfer.  I'm not sure I know how to use the
> approach that Marc suggested in reference to saving a new PDF for use in
> Word.
>
> I also tried Gabor's suggestion to save in Microsoft's metafile format
> (savePlot with type = wmf and emf), but the images contain lines that are as
> jagged as those created from the regular R plot output.

You may simply be viewing the document at such a small resolution that
the resolution is not there to display smooth lines regardless of the
approach.  Try viewing the document at increased zoom.  With vector
based images they automatically adapt to the resolution available.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com