[R] Dampening the spline interpolation for contours

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Tue Sep 14 00:02:07 CEST 2010

  Have you considered something like the following:

install.packages('sos') # if it's not already installed
library(sos)
si <- findFn('spline interpolation')
# 125 matches
summary(si)
# in 64 packages
si
# opens the results as a table in a web browser
# sorted to put first the package with the most matches
# with links to all 125 help pages

       However, from my understanding of your problem, I'd suggest you
do functional regression followed by contour of the fitted model.  The
best reference I know for this is chapter 9 on "Functional Linear Models
for Scalar Responses" in Ramsay, Hooker and Graves (2009) Functional
Data Analysis with R and Matlab (Springer).  That does not contain a
contour plot example, but it will give you a model.  You can then use
"expand.grid" to create a data.frame of points on a grid, which you can
feed with the model to "predict.fRegress" to get plotting levels.  The
output of "predict" can then be fed to "contour" to produce what you
want, I think.  I'm sorry I don't have time now to fill in the details.

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves
p.s.  Disclaimer:  I'm the lead author of the "sos" package and third
author on the Functional Data Analysis book cited above.