[R] Transforming character vector

LCOG1 jroll at lcog.org
Mon Sep 13 20:12:08 CEST 2010

Hi guys,
  Cant seem to find a solution for this.  I am looking for a substitute for
cut that can transform character vectors.  So as cut would be used below to
transform YearCat-> YearCat2 base on Year and vector
Ag<-c("00-'70","'71-'75","'76-'85","'86-'09") using 'cut '
FleetData$YearCat<-cut(FleetData$Year,c(0,1970,1975,1985,2009),labels=Ag)

      Make	       Year	    YearCat	YearCat2
1	DODG	2003	'86-'09	(2002,2003]
3	FORD	1995	'86-'09	(1994,1995]
5	JEP	1997	'86-'09	(1996,1997]
6	JEP	1997	'86-'09	(1996,1997]
7	DODG	2002	'86-'09	(2001,2002]
8	BMW	1997	'86-'09	(1996,1997]
11	TOYT	2006	'86-'09	(2005,2006]
12	CHEV	1997	'86-'09	(1996,1997]
13	CHEV	1992	'86-'09	(1991,1992]
14	CHEV	1996	'86-'09	(1995,1996]

I need to do the same for a fueltype where each record has a character
representing the data instead of a numeral(as in year).  No reproducible
code or data because i think this is pretty straight forward.  I could do
this using a series of loops but i think there is prob a more elegant way.
Use of grep?  Thanks for the help

JR