[R] SF-8 (not 36) questionnaire scoring for R?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 17:15:46 CEST 2010

On Sep 13, 2010, at 15:59 , Joshua Wiley wrote:

> If it's not possible to use their particular algorithms, does anyone
> think it would be helpful/practical to try to write a general scoring
> system?  I imagine a function with arguments for column names, a list
> where each element is a vector that indicates the numbers that
> correspond to various subscales, an argument that could handle any
> reverse scoring, etc.
>
> I am willing to have a go at this if people think it would be
> worthwhile (read: if someone wiser than me thinks it is not a waste of
> time).

I don't think that's the issue at all. It is a matter of being able to say that you did it "The Standard Way" (i.e. their way, by the book/manual) or not. It really doesn't matter how trivial the procedure is, or even whether it is the right thing to do. Even if you do a complete clean-room implementation of their scoring system, they can claim either that what you do is not SF-36 or if you say that it is, that you owe them money.