[R] SF-36 questionnaire scoring for R?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 12:57:45 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Dieter Menne
<dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de> wrote:
> Dear useRs from the physiology department,
>
> Does someone know of an implementation of the SF-36 questionnaire scoring in
> R? I only found SAS and STATA versions, e.g
>
> http://gim.med.ucla.edu/FacultyPages/Hays/util.htm

I do love SAS code for a good chuckle on a wet Monday morning...

http://gim.med.ucla.edu/FacultyPages/Hays/UTILS/SF36/sf36.sas

* SAS CODE FOR SCORING 36-ITEM HEALTH SURVEY 1.0
* WRITTEN BY RON D. HAYS, RAND, 310-393-0411 (EXT. 7581) ***;
DATA TEMP1;
 SET TEMP;
RENAME
I1=I1
I2=I2
I3=I3
I4=I4
I5=I5
I6=I6
I7=I7
I8=I8
I9=I9
I10=I10
I11=I11
I12=I12
I13=I13
I14=I14
I15=I15
I16=I16
I17=I17

[etc etc]

 The rest of it appears to be pages and pages of nested IF- statements
which could be translated into R fairly easily, but without a test set
(and currently ROFL'ing over those first 40 lines) I can't attempt.

Barry