[R] OT: model diagnostics in the published literature

Christopher W. Ryan cryan at binghamton.edu
Fri Sep 10 04:33:45 CEST 2010

This is a more general statiscal question, not specific to R:

As I move through my masters curriculum in statistics, I am becoming
more and more attuned to issues of model fit and diagnostics (graphical
methods, AIC, BIC, deviance, etc.) As my regression professor always
likes to say, only draw substantive conclusions from valid models.

Yet in published articles in my field (medicine), I rarely see any
explicit description of whether, and if so how, model fit was assessed
and assumptions checked. Mostly the results sections are all about
hypothesis testing on model coefficients.

Is this common in other disciplines? Are there fields of study in which
it is customary to provide a discussion of model adequacy, either in the
text or perhaps in an online appendix?

And if that discussion is not provided, what, if anything, can one
conclude about whether, and how well, it was done? Is it sort of taken
as a given that those diagnostic checks were carried out? Do journal
editors often ask?

Thanks for your thoughts.

--Chris Ryan
Clinical Associate Professor of Family Medicine