[R] Newbie cross tabulation issue

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Sep 9 20:22:50 CEST 2010

On Sep 9, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2010, at 12:59 PM, Jonathan Finlay wrote:
>
>> Ok friends, I tried but I not know! I'm a Linux SysAdmin and
>> Stadistical and
>> i working to migrate all the software in my workplace to free or open
>> software. The OS was easy, ofimatic suite too, multimedia and
>> graphics you
>> know, everything was relatively easy. But i work with SPSS and I
>> produce
>> tables from polls with CTABLES and FRECUENCIES tables. In my
>> migration party
>> I think R is the best option but need replace SPSS functions and
>> procedures.
>> I know that sucks but it's.
>>
>> In the attach you will see an example with a short output like I
>> need,
>> please I'm starting with R and i 'm study but i need to find
>> something to
>> replace this frecuently output while grows my experience in R.
>>
>> This is the syntaxis used:
>>
>> FREQUENCIES
>>  VARIABLES= REGION
>> /ORDER=  ANALYSIS .
>>
>> CTABLES
>>   /VLABELS VARIABLES=zona V1 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8  v51
>>       DISPLAY=DEFAULT
>>   /TABLE ZONA  [C] +V1 [C] +V3 [C] +V4 [C] +V5 [C] +V6 [C] +V7 [C]
>> +V8 [C]
>> BY v51
>>       [C][ROWPCT.COUNT  COMMA40.1, TOTALS[COLPCT.COUNT  COMMA40.1]]
>>   /SLABELS VISIBLE=NO
>>   /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=ZONA ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE
>> TOTAL=YES
>> LABEL='Total'
>>       POSITION=BEFORE
>>   /CATEGORIES VARIABLES= V1 V3 V4 V5 V6 V7 V8
>>       ORDER=A KEY=VALUE EMPTY=EXCLUDE
>>   /CATEGORIES VARIABLES=v51 ORDER=D KEY=VALUE EMPTY=INCLUDE TOTAL=YES
>> LABEL='Frecuencia'
>>       POSITION=AFTER
>>   /TITLES
>>       TITLE='  '.
>>
>> R is grand, great and biggest.
>>
>> Thanks for all.
>

> I would recommend getting a copy of Bob Muenchen's book:
>
>  R for SAS and SPSS Users
>  http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/the-books/r4sas-spss
>
> There is a free smaller version here:
>
>  http://sites.google.com/site/r4statistics/free-version
>
> and you can get a full copy from Amazon.com:
>
>  http://www.amazon.com/SAS-SPSS-Users-Statistics-Computing/dp/0387094172
>
> That would be the best place to start, relative to moving from SPSS
> to R.
>
> Part of the challenge is not just replicating SPSS code and output
> in R, but understanding the conceptual differences between the two,
> so that you can take advantage of R's approach/philosophy in
> conducting data analysis.

Another place to get useful code is the UCLA Statistical Computing
website. At one time that group was very negative about using R, but I
think the feedback or demand has reversed that attitude and there are
now quite a few worked examples of common task in which SAS, SPSS,
Stata and R are applied using the same data.

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/dae/

--
David.

> HTH,