[R] [R-pkgs] New package for medical image registration: RNiftyReg

Jon Clayden jon.clayden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 18:10:30 CEST 2010

The first release of "RNiftyReg", an R package for registration
(alignment and resampling) of medical images, is now available on CRAN
[1]. It may also be useful for other 3D array-like data sets.
RNiftyReg is built on top of the NiftyReg library [2], and is written
in a mixture of C, C++ and R. It currently supports 3D rigid-body and
affine registration, and support for 2D and nonlinear registration is
planned for a future release. NIfTI-format files can be read in and
passed to the registration algorithm using the oro.nifti package. In
testing I've found that a standard 12 degree-of-freedom affine
registration typically takes less than a minute, but timings will
depend on the dimensions of the images. Feedback on the package would
be very welcome at this stage.

Over the last few years a number of R packages for medical image
analysis have been produced, and R is gaining momentum as a platform
in this field [3]. I hope that this package will be a useful addition.

All the best,
Jon

--
[1] http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RNiftyReg/index.html