[R] Saving/loading custom R scripts

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 17:20:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

Just create a file called .Rprofile that is located in your working
directory (this means you could actually have different ones in each
working directory).  In that file, you can put in code just like any
other code that would be source()d in.  For instance, all my .Rprofile
files start with:

r <- getOption("repos")
r["CRAN"] <- "http://cran.stat.ucla.edu"
options(repos = r)
rm(r)

So that I do not have to pick my CRAN mirror.  Similarly you could
merely add this line to the file:

source(file = "http://www.r-statistics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Friedman-Test-with-Post-Hoc.r.txt")

and R would go online, download that file and source it in (not that I
am recommending re-downloading every time you start R).  Then whatever
names they used to define the functions, would be in your workspace.

Note that in general, you will not get any output alerting you that it
has worked; however, if you type ls() you should see those functions'
names.

Cheers,

Josh

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:25 AM, DrCJones <matthias.goddard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> How does R automatically load functions so that they are available from the
> workspace? Is it anything like Matlab - you just specify a directory path
> and it finds it?
>
> The reason I ask is because  I found a really nice script that I would like
> to use on a regular basis, and it would be nice not to have to 'copy and
> paste' it into R on every startup:
>
> http://www.r-statistics.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Friedman-Test-with-Post-Hoc.r.txt
>
> This would be for Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.
>
> Cheers
> --

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology