[R] likelyhood maximization problem with polr

blackscorpio olivier.collignon at live.fr
Wed Sep 8 11:43:39 CEST 2010

Ok, thanks a lot ! I tried to compute the inverse of the variance covariance
matrix of the estimators with vcov, which gave me this error :

>require(MASS)
>data(iris)
>model=polr(Species~Sepal.Length+Sepal.Width+Petal.Length+Petal.Width,iris,start
= rep(1, 6),method= "logistic")
>require(stats)
>vcov(model)

Re-fitting to get Hessian

Erreur dans optim(s0, fmin, gmin, method = "BFGS", hessian = Hess, ...) :
  la valeur initiale dans 'vmin' n'est pas finie

which means " Error in optim(...) : the initial value in 'vmin' is not
finite" ...