[R] likelyhood maximization problem with polr

blackscorpio olivier.collignon at live.fr
Tue Sep 7 23:19:13 CEST 2010

Thanks a lot for your answer !
I had already tried to initialize the algorithm with a null vector by
setting start=rep(0,6) or a random vector with start=runif(6), and I nearly
found the same results as yours.
But I am wondering if the solution obtained in this case wouldn't be too far
from the best one ? Maybe the procedure will begin near a local minimum,
which will make difficult to find the maximum at the end (if it does exist)
?
I also tried to increase the number of permitted iterations with maxit in
the glm.fit function used inside polr, which gave me almost the same results
too... Or maybe it is better to modify the epsilon tolerance for convergence
?

Many thanks !