[R] remove accents in strings

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Tue Sep 7 19:35:45 CEST 2010

If you know the encoding of the string, or if its encoding is the
current locale encoding, then you can use the iconv function to convert
the string to ASCII. Something like:

iconv(accented.string, to="ASCII//TRANSLIT")

While 7-bit ASCII does not permit accented characters, extended (8-bit)
ASCII does. Hence, I'm not sure this will work. But it's worth a try.

-Matt

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 13:04 -0400, lamack lamack wrote:
> Dear all, there is a R function to remove all accents in strings?
>
> best regards.
>
> JL
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Matthew S. Shotwell
Graduate Student
Division of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Medical University of South Carolina