[R] R cannot be started

Tao litao at seas.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 7 18:53:14 CEST 2010

I used Rtools for installing a package under Windows XP. I used commands like
R CMD INSTALL (build, check) in the CMD window. It worked well until I found
that my revised package can be updated with R CMD INSTALL. After I restarted
my computer, R cannot be started any more. I double click the R icon, it
gives me no response.

I tried to start R in the CMD window, it gives me an error message like "R
for Windows front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are
sorry for the inconvenience." The error signature is like
"AppName: r.exe	 AppVer: 2.100.50208.0	 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180	 Offset: 000360cb"