[R] own distance

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 13:16:42 CEST 2010

The kmeans function doesn't accept a distance object or distance matrix as
input (which you can of course generate from your own definition), but pam
in package cluster does. (Note that the term "k-means" refers to cluster
mean vectors, which can only computed from a cases*variables data matrix,
not from distances alone.)

There are also several other clustering methods that work with distance
matrices as input, see for example hclust, agnes from package cluster or
dbscan from package fpc, but if you want something that is
conceptually close to k-means, you should probably go for pam.

Best regards,
Christian