[R] Way OT: Does PSA testing reduce prostate cancer mortality?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Sep 7 01:19:18 CEST 2010

Hi Folks:

I found the following paper to be an interesting example of how even
well designed and conducted studies -- randomized trials, even -- can
be rendered problematic by systematic effects beyond the control of
the investigators:

http://www.nature.com/nrurol/journal/v7/n9/full/nrurol.2010.120.html

It's about whether PSA testing helps reduce mortality due to prostate
cancer -- an important issue with significant healh, economic, and QOL
impact. After decades of careful work, the answer still seems to be:
we don't know. Perhaps a good lesson in humility for us statisticians
... For those who are interested, enjoy.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics