[R] appending to a list

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 05:36:40 CEST 2010

On Sep 5, 2010, at 10:11 PM, Aks Ism wrote:

> No, I mean dynamically. Like list.push_back

Not sure what you mean by "dynamically" and my Google search for the
unspecified function list.push_back uncovered a C++ function that is
at least as complex as what I believe would be the equivalent R
function. I think you need to expand your discussion and your
executable R examples before people are going to understand what you
are thinking (....but not writing).

mylist <- c(mylist, my.element)

c() simply adds an element and R requires that you assign it if it is
to be preserved.

Perhaps you mean something like this:

ll <- list();
for (i in 1:20) {
        my.element <- scan();
        ll <- c(ll, my.element);
        if (is.na(my.element)){return(ll);break}}

--
David.

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:01 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net
> > wrote:
>
> On Sep 5, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Aks Ism wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've looked at previous discussions and did not get anything. I want
> to be
> able to append to a list in a loop. Is this possible?
>
> Of course:
>
> ?"c"
>
> ?"[["
>
> --